2021 Shopify Theme Development: Create Themes
Today's livestream focuses on the new Shopify Online Store 2.0 experience, which was introduced in late July or early August. This new theme makes several updates that bring a modern development workflow to Shopify, including an upgraded theme architecture, theme app extensions, improved modularity, and flexible store content. The most exciting addition for developers, however, is the new set of developer tools, which include Shopify GitHub integration, an updated Shopify command-line interface tool, and Theme Check. These tools provide a better sandbox environment for developing themes locally and streamline development with a real-time linter that is tuned for Shopify themes.
To get started, we logged into our Shopify Partners account and set up a new development store. We then tried to install the Dawn theme from the theme library, but we couldn't find it. Instead, we downloaded the zip file and uploaded it to our store. We then compared the old editor with the new editor, which provides a better user experience for editing the page. The new editor allows users to drag and drop blocks and rearrange them however they want.
Overall, the new Shopify Online Store 2.0 experience offers many exciting new features that make developing Shopify themes easier and faster. With improved modularity, flexibility, and performance
How to Become a Shopify Theme Developer
- Chris from christthefreelancer.com talks about becoming a Shopify theme developer
- Covers skills needed and how to find work
- Recommends Upwork and LinkedIn for finding clients
- Need to know Shopify Liquid (templating language for Shopify themes)
- Need to understand Shopify platform (templates, snippets, sections, layouts)
- Recommends Upwork for beginners
- Build a good profile with high job success score, top rated badge, and good reviews
- Professional networking on LinkedIn and personal connections can also lead to work
- Can pitch brands directly and take advantage of demand for e-commerce during pandemic
- Shopify theme development niche is underserved and offers opportunities
- Learn necessary skills and use platforms like Upwork and LinkedIn to find work
- Take advantage of demand for e-commerce during pandemic
The State of Shopify Theme Development
In this session, Liam, a Developer Advocate at Shopify, discussed the state of Shopify theme development. He looked at different workflows available for theme developers, recent features released for themes, and their vision for the future. Liam emphasized the power and adaptability of themes, making them more valuable to merchants than ever before. Shopify's ecosystem is experiencing steady growth, and there is a great opportunity for developers looking to enter this space.
Liam talked about the launch of online store 2.0, which enabled sections on all pages, and meta fields natively launched for themes, allowing more flexibility and personalization on different pages. He also discussed Shopify's vision for custom storefronts, Hydrogen, and Oxygen, and how they are not meant to replace liquid.
Liam also highlighted some recent updates and improvements to Shopify's development tools, such as updates to Shopify CLI, Liquid documentation, and the liquid extension for VS code. He also discussed the Shopify content platform, which is in beta and will allow merchants to centrally manage content throughout the entire platform.
Overall, Liam's talk emphasized the importance of developer experience, making development as easy and fun as possible, and the growing opportunities in Shopify's ecosystem for developers.
How to set up a local Shopify Theme Development environment ✅ Shopify Theme Development 2022
Welcome to my YouTube channel! In this tutorial, I will show you how to set up a local Shopify team development environment on your computer. If you want to start Shopify theme development as a career and are looking for an easy and fast Shopify guideline, then you can continue watching this video. Let's get started!
Steps to Set Up a Local Shopify Team Development Environment:
1. Install BS Code Editor:
- Search for BS Code on your computer
- Click on the download for Windows (or select other operating systems if needed)
- Install BS Code on your computer by running the downloaded file
2. Install Theme Kit:
- Go to Shopify.com/theme/tools/theme-kit
- Follow the instructions to install Theme Kit based on your operating system (use command lines for Linux and Mac, or install Chocolaty for Windows)
- Once Theme Kit is installed, you can move on to the next steps
3. Get a Theme Kit Password:
- Go to your Shopify Admin panel and click on Apps
- Search for Theme Kit
- Click on Generate new private app
- Give a name to your app and make sure to enable Theme templates and theme assets
- Click on Create app
- Copy the password provided
4. Connect Theme Kit with an Existing Theme or Create a New Theme:
- Open BS Code Editor and click on the terminal
- Enter the command theme get --list --password=[password] (replace [password] with the password you copied earlier)
- This command will list all the themes available in your Shopify store
- To connect with an existing theme, enter the command theme get --password=[password] --themeid=[theme id] (replace [password] and [theme id] with the actual values)
- To create a new theme, enter the command theme new --password=[password] --store=[store URL] --name=[theme name] (replace [password], [store URL], and [theme name] with the actual values)
5. Set Up a Config File:
- To avoid entering the password and store URL every time you use Theme Kit, you can create a config file
- Enter the command theme configure --password=[password] --store=[store URL] --name=[config name] (replace [password], [store URL], and [config name] with the actual values)
- This will create a config file in your computer's home directory
- You can now use the command theme [command] --config=[config name] to run Theme Kit commands without entering the password and store URL every time
Congratulations! You have successfully set up a local Shopify team development environment on your computer. With Theme Kit, you can now easily build and customize Shopify themes. Don't forget to like this video and subscribe to my channel for more Shopify theme development tutorials!
How To Build A Theme From Scratch
Hey everyone, Jan here from CodingwithYan. Building themes in 2022 and beyond is a hot topic, especially since the theme store reopened for new submissions. We've been covering quite a bit throughout the last few interviews with Liam, talking about how to come up with a concept, how to compete with existing themes, earning potentials, the theme store requirements, how to pass the review process, and more. In this article, we'll be focusing on the specific tools needed to get started with building themes, practical tips and tricks for using the Shopify CLI, and setting up a local development environment.
Building themes is a hot topic, and in this article, we'll be focusing on the tools and tips needed to get started with building themes. We'll cover practical tips and tricks for using the Shopify CLI and setting up a local development environment.
- Development store associated with your partner account
- Text editor on your local computer (such as VS Code or Sublime)
- Shopify CLI for transferring information to and from your linked development store and generating a development theme
- Shopify Github integration for version control management
Advantages of a Local Development Environment:
- Better workflow
- Syntax highlighting
- Hot reloading
Shopify CLI vs ThemeKit - Which One Should You Use?
Shopify CLI vs. Theme Kit: Which One Should You Use?
One of the most common questions in Shopify theme development is whether to use Shopify CLI or Theme Kit. This article will provide an overview of both command line tools, their differences, and which one to choose.
- A command line tool for building Shopify themes and apps.
- Connects to your Shopify store without the need for generating API keys or passwords.
- Uses all necessary data from your store, including products, orders, customers, and settings.
- Features ThemeCheck, a linting tool for detecting syntax errors.
- A command line tool for building Shopify themes.
- Requires generating an API key and password or using the Theme Kit Access app to connect to your Shopify store.
- Generates a basic theme template and uploads it to your store.
- Does not include ThemeCheck, but it can be installed using other means.
Which one to use:
- There is no best CLI for theme development.
- Learn both CLI tools, as they both have their advantages.
- Shopify may not duplicate Theme Kit anytime soon, so it is best to have a backup tool.
- Choose a tool that suits your workflow.
Shopify CLI and Theme Kit are both useful command line tools for Shopify theme development. While Shopify CLI may have some advantages over Theme Kit, both tools have their strengths and weaknesses. It is best to learn both tools and choose the one that suits your workflow.
Make money selling Shopify Themes (best chance is now)
Hey everyone, Jan here from codingwithyan.com! Today we have the first episode of our Sell Your Own Theme series, and we've received tons of great questions from all of you. Please keep them coming because this project can only be as good as the community is. You guys are amazing, and we appreciate everyone watching. Now it's time for some answers, so let's dive right in!
In this article, we will discuss how to create a successful Shopify theme. We will cover topics such as the best way to create a theme, the required features, and how to come up with a concept. We will also share tips on how to make your theme unique and appealing to merchants.
Tips on Creating a Successful Shopify Theme:
1. Focus on Usability: A great theme should be easy to use and navigate. Consider how merchants and buyers will interact with the theme and design it with their needs in mind.
2. Determine Your Niche: Choose a specific industry or demographic to focus on. Research what merchants in that industry need and build your theme to meet their requirements.
3. Start with Mandatory Features: Shopify has a list of required features that all themes must include. Start with these and build from there
- Retrieve Shopify Product Images
- Master Shopify with E-Learning
- Send Email from Shopify
- Shop tokyobike on Shopify
- Order Liquid on Shopify: Simplify Your E-commerce
- Boost Sales: Add Email Popup on Shopify
- Shopify Pro Reports: Insights for Success
- Shopify Bookkeeper: Simplify Your E-commerce Finances
- Seamless CommerceHub-Shopify Integration
- Slow Shopify Site - Boost Speed Now