chicago tribune classified ads cars
Over the past 20 years, my wife and I have followed a simple rule: if we don't need to drive to work, we don't need to own a car. This rule was easy to follow when we lived in central London, where public transit was exceptional. However, in cities like Toronto, public transit and cycling only took us so far. We found that the walkable parts of Toronto were surrounded by a sprawling suburban wasteland that was only accessible by car. Additionally, intercity passenger trains in Canada were not reliable. Therefore, in a city that is designed incorrectly, a car is sometimes necessary, and for that, we relied on car sharing.
Car Sharing: The Easy Solution
Car sharing is often misunderstood. Many people associate it with the painful process of renting a car while on vacation. However, modern car share programs have become incredibly easy to use. With just a few clicks on an app, you can choose a car and be driving in less than five minutes. It's so easy that it's ridiculous.
Car Sharing: The Evolution
Car sharing has been around for a long time, possibly since the 1940s. In fact, an all-electric car sharing service called Vitkar was launched in Amsterdam in 1974, showing just how ahead of its time it was. When we first signed up for a car share service in Toronto in 2003, it was basic. We were given a key to a lockbox containing the keys to a car, and we booked our time slots using a simple website. However, car share systems have evolved, and they are now app-based, allowing you to do everything from booking a car to unlocking the doors right from your smartphone.
Fixed Car Share vs. Free Floating Car Share
There are two types of car sharing programs: fixed and free floating. Fixed car sharing programs, like the one in Toronto, have cars parked in fixed locations throughout the city. While this makes it difficult to use a car spontaneously, it ensures that the car you have booked is always available. On the other hand, free floating car sharing programs allow cars to be parked almost anywhere, and you can book them on the go. This is ideal for spontaneous trips and one-way trips. Both types of car sharing have their advantages and disadvantages, and we maintain memberships with several different services to have access to a variety of cars.
Benefits of Car Sharing
Car sharing not only allows people to go car-free but also helps two-car households become single-car households. It also makes it easier for people to buy smaller, cheaper vehicles. Car share programs offer a wide range of cars and vans, allowing you to choose the vehicle that best suits your needs. For example, if you need to transport large items, you can choose a cargo van, while for solo trips, you can opt for a small, fuel-efficient car.
Cost Comparison: Car Sharing vs. Car Ownership
When comparing the cost of car sharing to car ownership, it's important to consider the monthly cost rather than individual trip costs. While a single trip may seem expensive, the overall monthly cost of car sharing is often significantly lower than owning a car. For example, all our car share trips combined would usually add up to less than $100 per month, including fuel, insurance, maintenance, and cleaning. In contrast, owning a car can be a hassle, with potential problems and costly repairs.
Reliability and Convenience of Car Sharing
Car share cars are reliable and well-maintained, as it's in the company's best interest to keep them in service. In the 18 years we've been using car share programs, we've only encountered one problem, which was quickly resolved by the company. Car sharing also eliminates the stress of getting your car damaged or dealing with insurance. It offers the freedom of having access to a car without the hassle and expense of ownership.
Car sharing has revolutionized the way we think about transportation. It provides a convenient, cost-effective, and reliable alternative to car ownership. Whether you opt for a fixed car sharing program or a free floating one, car sharing allows you to have access to a car whenever you need it while eliminating the burden of car ownership. So, if you don't need to drive to work, consider joining a car share program and experience the freedom it offers.
The History of Grand Spaulding Dodge and Mr. Norm
- Today, I want to talk about the history of Grand Spaulding Dodge in Chicago and the Kraus brothers, Leonard and Norman, also known as Mr. Norm.
- These two individuals have made significant contributions to Mopar history and their Dodge dealership was world-famous.
History of Grand Spaulding Dodge and Mr. Norm:
- In 1948, at just 14 years old, Norman and his older brother Len started pumping gas for their father's gas station in Chicago.
- A customer suggested that they try selling cars from the gas station, so they bought a cheap car, cleaned it up, and sold it the next day.
- This success led them to venture into the used car business, and by 1951, they purchased a service station next to their father's gas station and converted it into a used car dealership.
- The breakthrough moment came in 1956 when they sold a popular Chevy convertible with a four-speed and V8 engine, which sparked their focus on performance cars.
- In 1962, Norman and Len opened the famous Grand Spaulding Dodge dealership, which focused on high-performance cars and offered a free dyno tune with every purchase.
- The dealership's success led them to venture into racing, forming the Grand Spaulding Dodge racing team in 1964.
- They partnered with Gary Dyer, who drove their supercharged Hemi Dodge, and their success in the racing world brought them nationwide recognition.
- They also partnered with the band, The Buckinghams, hosting events and dances at their dealership, further attracting younger buyers.
- Mr. Norm's commitment to customer service and performance led them to modify Dodge Darts and Demons, offering big block engines and supercharged versions.
Continued Success and Legacy:
- Despite the decline in muscle cars' popularity in the 1970s, the dealership expanded, offering conversion vans and fleet sales to various departments.
- By 1974, Grand Spaulding Dodge became the number one Dodge dealership in the world.
- In 1977, Mr. Norm sold his ownership stake to spend more time with his family.
- In retirement, he continued his involvement with cars and revived the Mr. Norm Sports Club in 1999.
- On February 26, 2021, Norman Kraus, also known as Mr. Norm, passed away, leaving behind a rich legacy and inspiring story.
- The story of Grand Spaulding Dodge and Mr. Norm is a true rags to riches American dream, with their contributions to Mopar history and the muscle car era still celebrated today.
- Their focus on high-performance cars, commitment to customer service, and dedication to young buyers set them apart from other dealerships.
- Mr. Norm's impact on the automotive industry will continue to be remembered and cherished by fans and enthusiasts alike.
The Lost Streetcars of Chicago | Finding the Last Green Hornet Tracks - IT'S HISTORY
In this article, we will explore the timeline of various events and numbers related to different periods. From historical dates to modern statistics, we will cover a range of topics. So, grab a seat and let's dive into the details!
## Introduction ##
Have you ever wondered about the significant events and numbers throughout history? Well, you're in luck! In this article, we will take a closer look at a wide range of dates and figures that have shaped our world. From the 19th century to modern times, there's plenty to explore. So, without further ado, let's get started!
## Timeline ##
- 1000: A thousand years ago, life was vastly different from what we know today.
- 1929: The stock market crash of 1929 had a profound impact on the global economy.
- 9: In just nine years, the world would be engulfed in the chaos of World War II.
- 1935: This year marked the introduction of the first successful commercial airline flight.
- 3700: A staggering number of archaeological sites have been discovered around the world.
- 30: Thirty years ago, the internet was still in its infancy.
- 1958: The space race between the United States and the Soviet Union was in full swing.
- Endo: Endo Pharmaceuticals is a leading global specialty pharmaceutical company.
- 100: One hundred years ago, the world was on the brink of the first World War.
- 19: The 19th century was a time of great innovation and change.
- 30000: Thirty thousand people attended the historic concert.
- 1850: In 1850, the United States was in the midst of the Gold Rush.
- 109000: Over one hundred thousand people were affected by the natural disaster.
- 1860: The 1860s were a tumultuous decade in American history.
- 1848: The year 1848 saw a wave of revolutions sweeping across Europe.
- 300000: A staggering number of books were published in that year.
- 1852: The construction of the iconic landmark began in 1852.
- 10: Only ten people were present at the meeting.
- 12: It took twelve hours to complete the marathon.
- 10: The temperature dropped to a chilly ten degrees Celsius.
- 30: Thirty minutes passed before the bus arrived.
- 1858: In 1858, the first transatlantic telegraph cable was laid.
- 1872: The year 1872 marked the founding of a famous company.
- 202: The total number of countries in the world is currently 202.
- 6600: Six thousand six hundred people attended the concert.
- 1871: The Great Chicago Fire of 1871 devastated the city.
- se draw: The intricate design of the artwork took several weeks to complete.
- 1882: In 1882, the first electric power plant was established.
- 1883: The year 1883 saw the eruption of a famous volcano.
- 1888: The 1888 London Matchgirls' Strike was a pivotal moment in labor history.
- gripman: The skilled gripman maneuvered the cable car with precision.
- 125: One hundred twenty-five years have passed since the invention of the telephone.
- 2: Only two people witnessed the extraordinary event.
- 30: The thirty-minute documentary provided a glimpse into a different culture.
- 28: Twenty-eight days remained until the deadline.
- 1882: The construction of the iconic building began in 1882.
- 24: The twenty-four-hour restaurant catered to night owls.
- 21: The twenty-first century has brought about significant technological advancements.
- 21: Twenty-one people attended the conference.
- 1906: The devastating earthquake of 1906 shook the city to its core.
- wttw: WTTW is a renowned public television station.
- 1: Only one ticket was left for the highly anticipated concert.
- 29: Twenty-nine years ago, the world witnessed a historic event.
- 100: One hundred dollars was the cost of the exclusive VIP package.
- 13: Thirteen guests were invited to the intimate gathering.
- 41: The forty-one-page report provided detailed insights.
- 2: The two-hour delay caused frustration among the passengers.
- 34: The thirty-fourth annual convention attracted attendees from around the world.
- 71: Seventy-one percent of the population supported the new legislation.
- 1890: The 1890s marked a period of significant cultural and social change.
- 1906: In 1906, the first radio broadcast captured the attention of the masses.
- 93: Ninety-three countries participated in the international competition.
- 106: One hundred six medals were awarded to the talented athletes.
- 106: The temperature soared to a scorching one hundred six degrees Fahrenheit.
- 1907: The year 1907 saw the founding of a groundbreaking organization.
- 1914: World War I erupted in 1914, changing the course of history.
- PCC: PCC stands for Passenger Car Company, a transportation service.
- 1929: The year 1929 marked the beginning of the Great Depression.
- PCC: PCC also refers to the Presidents' Conference Committee, a transit vehicle.
- 600: Six hundred people attended the sold-out concert.
- Ween: Ween is an American alternative rock band formed in the 1980s.
- 1945: The year 1945 marked the end of World War II.
- 1946: The aftermath of the war brought significant challenges in 1946.
- 1947: The year 1947 saw the partition of India and Pakistan.
- 1961: In 1961, the first human ventured into space.
- 7213: Seven thousand two hundred thirteen dollars was donated to the charity.
- goworth: Goworth is a prominent financial institution.
- t: The letter t stands for tons in the given context.
- 2014: The year 2014 brought about significant technological advancements.
- wbbm: WBBM is a popular radio station in the United States.
- kensey: Kensey is a well-known fashion designer.
- 2010: In 2010, the world experienced a devastating natural disaster.
- 63: Sixty-three percent of the population supported the new policy.
- corcoran: Corcoran is a renowned artist known for their unique style.
- cta: CTA stands for Chicago Transit Authority, a transportation service.
- lawndale: Lawndale is a vibrant neighborhood in Chicago.
- 2600: Two thousand six hundred people attended the annual festival.
- 134: One hundred thirty-four species of birds were spotted in the park.
- ss indiana: The SS Indiana was a famous passenger steamship.
- 130: One hundred thirty people were present at the gathering.
- 134: The bus route number 134 provided convenient transportation.
- 5500: Five thousand five hundred dollars was raised for charity.
- 77: Seventy-seven countries participated in the international conference.
- 1887: The year 1887 marked a significant milestone in scientific discovery.
- cta: CTA also stands for the Chicago Theatre Awards, an annual event.
- 2016: The year 2016 saw the launch of a groundbreaking technological innovation.
## Conclusion ##
In this article, we have covered a wide range of dates and figures that have played a significant role in shaping our world. From historical events to modern statistics, the timeline we explored is a testament to the rich tapestry of human history. So, the next time you come across any of these numbers or dates, you'll have a deeper understanding of their significance. Remember, history is not just about numbers; it's about the stories and people behind them.
RESCUED: Lamborghini Countach in Chicago, Illinois!!
In this article, we will be discussing the rescue of an iconic car from the 1980s in Chicago. We will explore the challenges faced during the rescue mission and the significance of the car in question. Get ready for an exciting journey as we delve into this unique rescue operation.
- The rental car situation in Chicago has been escalating, with prices skyrocketing from $100 to $500 per day.
- The rescue team arrives in Chicago to find snowy and cold conditions, adding to the challenge.
- They are set to rescue a classic car that has been sitting in a garage for over 20 years.
- The car is located in a tight neighborhood with limited space, making the rescue operation even more complicated.
Meeting the Owner:
- The team meets the owner of the car, Bill, who has been taking care of it for over two decades.
- The car is revealed to be a rare and iconic supercar from the 1980s.
- Steve, the car finder, shares his background and how he came across the opportunity to rescue this car.
- Bill explains the mechanical issues the car had, including a faulty transmission.
Inspecting the Car:
- The team examines the engine and VIN numbers to ensure the authenticity of the car.
- They discuss the unique features of the car, including its connection to the anniversary edition.
- The car is identified as one of the last models of its kind, known for its speed and aerodynamic design.
The Significance of the Car:
- The team discusses the allure of owning a countach and its status as an art piece.
- They highlight the differences between the QB 5000 and the anniversary edition, emphasizing the former's superior performance.
- The car's fuel injection system and minimal aerodynamic add-ons make it a thrilling vehicle to drive.
In this article, we explored the exciting rescue mission of an iconic car from the 1980s. Despite the challenges posed by weather conditions and limited space, the team successfully rescued the car and discovered its historical and mechanical significance. The countach QB 5000 is a true work of art and a testament to the engineering prowess of its time.
LIVE REPORT: Dreadhead Cowboy rides horse on Dan Ryan Expressway
Breaking News: Man on Horse Causes Traffic Jam on Dan Ryan Expressway
In a surprising turn of events, a man riding a horse has caused a major traffic jam on the Dan Ryan Expressway. This unusual sight has caught the attention of motorists and law enforcement, who are trying to figure out why this man is taking such an unconventional route during rush hour. Let's dive into the details and try to understand the situation better.
- The man on the horse is accompanied by a group of motorcyclists, suggesting a possible connection between them.
- Police have arrived on the scene to try and manage the situation, but it seems difficult to control a horse on a busy expressway.
- The horse and its rider have been traveling southbound on the Dan Ryan Expressway, causing significant delays for commuters heading home from work.
- The exact reason behind this unusual incident remains unknown, as there is little information available at the moment.
- The horse and its riders are currently near the 73rd Street exit on the Dan Ryan Expressway, heading towards the southern suburbs.
- This means that the traffic jam is affecting motorists trying to leave the city and causing even more frustration for those already stuck in the jam.
- The traffic congestion caused by the horse and its riders is stretching for miles, making it extremely difficult for commuters to get home in a timely manner.
- Some motorists are trying to pass the horse, which is not recommended and can lead to further complications.
- Law enforcement is attempting to coordinate efforts to safely escort the horse off the expressway, but it is proving to be a challenging task.
- The presence of a horse on the expressway poses significant safety risks for both the riders and other motorists.
- Attempting to stop or control a horse on a busy highway is dangerous and requires careful handling to avoid any harm to the animal.
- It is crucial for motorists to exercise caution and patience during this unusual situation to prevent accidents or injuries.
The man on the horse causing a traffic jam on the Dan Ryan Expressway has left both commuters and law enforcement puzzled. As the situation continues to unfold, it is important for everyone involved to prioritize safety and work towards a resolution that minimizes disruption and ensures the well-being of all parties. Stay tuned for further updates on this unprecedented incident.
The Most Credible UFO Sightings
Music at around 4:15 p.m. on November 7, 2006, authorities at O'Hare International Airport received a report that a group of airport employees witnessed a metallic saucer-shaped craft hovering near Gate C17. The first person to see the object was a ramp employee who was backing up United Airlines Flight 446. He informed the crew of Flight 446 that something was above the plane. No air traffic controllers saw the object, and it did not show up on radar. Despite this, the FAA claimed that the sighting was caused by nothing but a weather phenomenon and that they would not be further investigating the incident.
The story of the sighting was eventually picked up by major media outlets, causing many people to reconsider the idea of UFOs. UFO investigators have argued that the FAA's refusal to look into the incident goes against their own mandate to investigate possible security breaches at American airports. An unknown object witnessed by multiple airport employees, hovering in plain sight but not detected by radar, happening over one of the busiest airports in the world. In my opinion, that would probably be cause for concern.
Some witnesses interviewed by the Chicago Tribune were reportedly upset that the FAA declined to further investigate the case. The National Aviation Reporting Center for Anomalous Phenomena (NARCAP) published a 155-page report on the sighting, calling for a government inquiry and improved energy-sensing technologies to pick up whatever this object was on radar. Despite all efforts, no new information has emerged about what this thing was, making it impossible to know for certain.
On the night of July 14, 2001, in Carteret, New Jersey, numerous large bright lights were reported to be flying in a triangle pattern above the New Jersey Turnpike at around midnight. For about 15 minutes, several people stopped what they were doing to watch the unusual V formation of orange and yellow lights. Residents and a local police officer all testified to seeing these lights. One resident named Joe Malvacio said it was one of the most amazing things he had ever seen. They were just hovering and then they disappeared one at a time, fading until they were all gone. Another resident named Veronica Begley apparently caught the lights on camera, but the recording is low quality and lacks audio. Most witnesses said the lights did not scare them; they seemed peaceful as they moved silently and beautifully across the sky. The lights were filmed by multiple witnesses, but there is almost no information or explanations as to what they could have been.
On April 24, 1964, police officer Lonnie Zamora was chasing a speeding car just south of Socorro, New Mexico when he heard a roar and saw a flame in the sky to the southwest. Zamora discontinued the pursuit of the speeding vehicle and drove off the road to get closer to whatever this thing was. Eventually, he went over a hill, obstructing his view of the flame. When he came over the hill, about 150 to 200 yards away, he saw what looked like an overturned car. The flame and the noise were gone, and there were two figures dressed in white suits standing around the object. Zamora described them as small adults or large kids. But as he went over another hill, the figures were gone. He parked his car a few dozen meters away from the object and realized it was not an overturned vehicle. He described it as a smooth, oval-shaped craft with no doors or windows, standing on four legs. There was a red symbol on one side that looked like an arrow inside an arc. As he got out of his car, the object started to roar again. Zamora hid behind his car, and when he looked, he saw a flame coming out of the bottom of the craft. It hovered about 20 meters above the ground before slowly rising into the sky until it was silent and no longer visible. Footprints and indentations in the ground were found, along with burned bushes in the area, proving the object had a flame. Before Zamora's story reached the press, other residents in Socorro reported seeing an oval-shaped object floating around. Possible explanations for this case include a hoax or secret military craft, but even after almost 60 years, there is still no definitive answer.
On November 14, 2004, off the coast of California, fighter pilot Commander David Fravor was sent to investigate an unknown object detected on radar by the USS Princeton. When Fravor returned to the aircraft carrier, he explained to other pilots that he had witnessed an oval-shaped object hovering above the water. As he descended to get a better look, the object flew away at hypersonic speed, defying the laws of gravity. A second wave of fighter pilots, including Lieutenant Commander Chad Underwood, was dispatched to investigate after hearing about Fravor's encounter. Underwood's jet was equipped with an advanced infrared camera called a FLIR. Although Underwood did not see the object, his camera recorded it. These recordings were the first time pilots had captured such phenomena on camera. During 2014 and 2015, fighter pilots associated with the USS Theodore Roosevelt carrier strike group recorded two videos while investigating unknown aerial objects off the east coast of the United States. These videos were later released to the public by the New York Times and the Washington Post, respectively. The government classified these objects as unidentified, raising concerns about safety.
In summary, these cases involving UFO sightings highlight the mystery and uncertainty surrounding these objects. Whether they are of extraterrestrial origin or secret military craft, the lack of definitive answers raises questions about what exactly was witnessed. While some officials may dismiss these sightings as weather phenomena, it is evident that there is a genuine interest and concern among witnesses and investigators. The release of videos and preliminary reports by the U.S. government indicates a shift in acknowledging the reality of these unidentified aerial objects.
15 Awesome Three Wheeled Vehicles
Never Get Inside a Three-Wheeled Vehicle: 15 Strange Three-Wheeled Vehicles
Three-wheeled vehicles have always been a source of fascination for car enthusiasts. While they may not be as practical or stable as their four-wheeled counterparts, they still manage to captivate our attention. In this article, we will take a look at 15 of the most strange and unique three-wheeled vehicles that have ever been built. From electric cars to motorcycles, these vehicles push the boundaries of design and functionality. So, let's dive in and explore these extraordinary creations.
1. Electra Mechanica Solo:
- Designed for one person, the Electra Mechanica Solo is a single-seater electric car that boasts an 82 horsepower electric motor and a range of 100 miles.
- While it may not be practical for those with families or pets, the Solo is perfect for urban commuters who prioritize efficiency and privacy.
2. Aptera 2 Series:
- The Aptera 2 Series is a prototype vehicle that resembles a mini spaceship.
- Its aerodynamic design allows it to achieve an impressive range of a thousand miles on a single charge.
- With the ability to charge its batteries using solar panels, the Aptera 2 Series is a testament to eco-friendly transportation.
3. Bond Bug:
- The Bond Bug is a small British three-wheeled automobile that was never officially put into mass production.
- With its unique design and lift-up canopy, the Bond Bug aimed to appeal to younger buyers.
- Despite its unconventional appearance, the Bug was capable of reaching speeds of up to 76 miles per hour.
4. Yamaha Nikken:
- The Yamaha Nikken is a tilting three-wheeler motorcycle that combines the thrill of speed with the stability of three wheels.
- Its unique front wheel movement allows for enhanced agility and control, making it a dream come true for motorcycle enthusiasts.
5. Polaris Slingshot:
- The Polaris Slingshot is a three-wheeled motorcycle that resembles a batmobile.
- With its tilt-adjustable steering wheel and waterproof interior, the Slingshot offers a thrilling and practical driving experience.
- While it may lack the ability to lean like the Yamaha Nikken, its powerful engine and optional automatic transmission make up for it.
6. Morgan Three Wheeler:
- The Morgan Three Wheeler is a classic car that takes us back in time.
- Designed to be a rebellion against modern motoring, the Three Wheeler offers a no-frills, all-thrills driving experience.
- Its lightweight design and impressive acceleration make it a favorite among car enthusiasts.
7. Vanderhall Venice:
- The Vanderhall Venice is a three-wheeler that can be classified as either a motorcycle or a car, depending on where you're driving it.
- Its unique design and compact size make it perfect for those looking for a fun and adventurous ride.
- While it may lack some safety features found in traditional cars, the Venice makes up for it with its stylish appearance.
8. Campagna T-Rex:
- The Campagna T-Rex is a three-wheeler that offers a unique driving experience.
- Powered by a BMW engine, the T-Rex can be registered as either a car or a motorcycle.
- Its sleek design and manual transmission add to the excitement of driving this extraordinary vehicle.
9. Taniman Vader TC3:
- The Taniman Vader TC3 is a sporty and sleek three-wheeler that turns heads wherever it goes.
- With its futuristic design and powerful engine, the Vader TC3 offers a thrilling ride for adrenaline junkies.
- While it may not be the most practical vehicle, its unique appearance makes it a standout on the road.
In conclusion, three-wheeled vehicles continue to captivate our attention with their unique designs and unconventional features. From electric cars to motorcycles, these vehicles push the boundaries of what is possible in the world of transportation. While they may not be for everyone, there's no denying the excitement and thrill that comes with driving one of these strange three-wheeled vehicles. So, the next time you see one on the road, take a moment to appreciate the ingenuity and creativity that went into creating it.