Facebook Ads Special Ad Category Explained
If you're familiar with Facebook advertising, you may have heard about the Special Ad Category. This category was introduced in 2019 in response to concerns about discrimination in advertising. In this article, we'll explain what the Special Ad Category is and how it affects your Facebook advertising campaigns.
What is the Special Ad Category?
The Special Ad Category is a classification that Facebook created to ensure that certain ads don't discriminate against protected groups. Ads that fall into this category include those related to credit, employment, and housing. These ads are subject to additional restrictions and must comply with Facebook's policies on discrimination.
What are the restrictions?
Ads in the Special Ad Category are subject to the following restrictions:
- You can't target users based on age, gender, zip code, or other protected characteristics.
- You can't exclude users based on these characteristics either.
- You can't use certain targeting options, such as Lookalike Audiences, that could be used to indirectly discriminate against protected groups.
- You must comply with Facebook's policies on discrimination, which prohibit ads that contain hate speech, racial slurs, or other offensive content.
How does it affect my campaigns?
If you're running ads related to credit, employment, or housing, you'll need to comply with the Special Ad Category restrictions. This may mean that you'll need to adjust your targeting options or creative to ensure that your ads don't inadvertently discriminate against protected groups. You may also need to verify your identity and location to run certain types of ads.
Tips for running Special Ad Category campaigns:
- Be mindful of your targeting options and avoid using ones that could be used to indirectly discriminate.
- Use inclusive language and imagery in your ads to appeal to a broad audience.
- Avoid making assumptions about users based on their age, gender, or other characteristics.
- Review Facebook's policies on discrimination and ensure that your ads comply with them.
The Special Ad Category is an important consideration for anyone running ads related to credit, employment, or housing on Facebook. By understanding the restrictions and complying with Facebook's policies on discrimination, you can ensure that your ads reach a broad audience without inadvertently discriminating against protected groups.
Facebook Ads Special Ad Category Explained
Special Ad Categories for Facebook Ads
In this video, Pixel Hackers explains what special ad categories are and why they were developed by Facebook. These categories are used for ads related to credit, employment, or housing opportunities and are designed to protect people from unlawful discrimination. Depending on the country you are running your ads in, there are certain laws you must follow to avoid discrimination.
1. What are special ad categories?
2. How do you set up special ad categories correctly?
3. What are the limitations of special ad categories?
4. Crafting your campaign with special ad categories
5. Creating ads with special ad categories
What are special ad categories?
Special ad categories are a tool developed by Facebook for ads related to credit, employment, or housing opportunities. The purpose of these categories is to ensure that people on Facebook are not discriminated against unlawfully. Depending on the country you are running your ads in, there are certain laws you must follow to avoid discrimination.
How do you set up special ad categories correctly?
To set up special ad categories correctly, you need to follow the rules and policies outlined by Facebook. When creating a new campaign, you will see a window that says special ad categories. Click on this to choose the appropriate category for your ad. Depending on the category, you may need to verify your identity or follow specific requirements for your landing page or website. Once you have set up your special ad category, you can create a special ad audience following all the rules of a special ad category audience.
What are the limitations of special ad categories?
There are several limitations to using special ad categories. For example, you cannot exclude people based on their location or demographics, and you cannot use detailed targeting options like income or behavior. This makes your targeting very broad and may not be as effective as other targeting options. Additionally, Facebook may have bot crawlers that check your landing page or website to make sure you are following the rules.
Crafting your campaign with special ad categories:
When crafting your campaign with special ad categories, it is important to keep the limitations in mind. You may need to use more generic targeting options or rely on special ad categories lookalike audiences. Make sure your landing page and creatives follow all the rules and policies to avoid getting your ad disapproved.
Creating ads with special ad categories:
When creating ads with special ad categories, make sure your images and language do not discriminate against anyone based on certain personal characteristics. Use special ad categories audiences or generic targeting options to ensure you are following the rules and policies outlined by Facebook.
Special ad categories are a valuable tool for Facebook advertisers, but they come with several limitations. By following the rules and policies, you can ensure your ads are not discriminating against anyone and are following the laws in your country. When crafting your campaign and creating your ads, keep these limitations in mind to ensure you are reaching the right audience effectively.
- How To Properly Allocate Your Facebook Ads Budget
- What is a Good Frequency For Facebook Ads
- How To Search Ads On Facebook
- How To Get User Generated Content For Your Brand
- The Facebook Metaverse Is The Next Marketing Channel - The Metaverse Explained
- The Secrets Ecommerce Pro's Don't Want You To Know
- How To Use Influencers To Grow Your Brand - Favikon Review
- 8 Things I Wish I Knew Before Running Facebook Ads
- Minimum Budget For Facebook Ads 2022 - The Ultimate Guide
- How To Create A Loyalty Program For Your Brand