personals ads abbreviations
Acronyms Understanding Personal Ads
Welcome back to Kim's class! In this sixth and final lesson of the unit, we'll be discussing personal ads and acronyms used in them.
What is a personal ad?
Personal ads are a way for people to give information about themselves in hopes of finding a companion, date, or someone to marry. They were traditionally found in newspapers, but now are commonly found on dating websites.
What are acronyms?
Acronyms are letters that stand for complete words. A well-known example is www, which stands for World Wide Web.
Common acronyms used in personal ads:
1. SF - Single Female
2. SM - Single Male
3. SWF - Single White Female
4. SBM - Single Black Male
5. SWM - Single White Male
6. SBM - Single Black Male
7. ISO - In Search Of
8. DM - Divorced Male
9. DF - Divorced Female
10. NS - Non-Smoking
11. HWP - Height Weight Proportionate
Practicing with personal ads:
We will now practice understanding personal ads using these acronyms. Read through the personal ads and answer the questions below.
1. Caring SF, 35, creative, enjoys playing guitar, cooking, drawing. ISO gentle, kind SM, 25-35, to stay home and chill.
2. Fun-loving DM, 46, 5'11, beard, salt and pepper hair. Loves playing tennis. ISO HWP, honest, athletic SF.
3. Adventurous, outgoing SBM, 27, 6'1. Loves motorcycle trips, camping, and everything outdoors. ISO companion with same interests.
1. What vocabulary word describes the man in ad number three?
2. How old is the woman in picture number one?
3. Which person is looking for someone who may enjoy hiking?
4. Which person is looking for someone who may enjoy watching movies?
Congratulations! You have now learned common acronyms used in personal ads and how to read and understand them. You can now correctly answer questions using information in personal ads. Thank you for joining me on this journey to learn English. Don't forget to like, subscribe, share, and leave a comment below!
A glimpse of Dutton Speedwords and my Personal Abbreviation System
Hi, I'm Soren Bjornstedt and welcome to this video about my personal abbreviation system. In this video, I will discuss the motivation behind my system, its components, and how it can be helpful in making writing more efficient.
- I write a lot, both on the computer and by hand.
- I want to make writing more efficient, especially on small surfaces like index cards.
- It's fun to optimize and improve writing systems.
1. Dutton Speed Words:
- Alphabetical shorthand system that uses normal letters.
- Can also be used as an international auxiliary language.
- Has extensions like speed words correlatives and personal abbreviations.
- Uses Greek letters to replace commonly used morphemes or sequences of syllables.
- Makes writing faster and more efficient.
- Special characters that are easy to write and distinguishable from letters.
- Used for common words like actually or should.
4. Standard Abbreviations:
- Arbitrary abbreviations that are used consistently.
- Useful for frequently used names or terms.
My personal abbreviation system is a collection of shorthand methods that can make writing more efficient, especially on small surfaces like index cards. By using Dutton Speed Words, Greekening, Swashes, and Standard Abbreviations, writers can increase their writing speed and reduce the amount of time spent on writing tasks.
CNA Nursing Assistant Abbreviations
Medical professionals use a variety of abbreviations and acronyms to save time and streamline communication. However, these abbreviations can be confusing for patients and their families. In this article, we will go through some commonly used medical abbreviations and their meanings.
Common Medical Abbreviations:
1. @ - at
2. _ - underscore
3. abd - abdomen
4. ac - before meals
5. ad lib - as desired
6. adls - activities of daily living
7. aids - acquired immune deficiency syndrome
8. aka - above knee amputation
9. am - morning
10. amb - ambulate (walking)
11. amt - amount
12. ax - auxiliary (underarm)
13. b and b - bowel and bladder
14. bid - twice a day (two times a day)
15. bka - below knee amputation
16. bm - bowel movement
17. bp - blood pressure
18. br - bed rest
19. brp - bathroom privileges (a person is allowed to get out of bed and ambulate to the bathroom on his or her own)
20. c - celsius (also centigrade)
21. c_ - with
22. co - complains of
23. c a - cancer
24. cardio - heart
25. cath - catheter
26. cbr - complete bed rest
27. cc - cubic centimeter
28. ccu - cardiac care unit
29. cerebro - brain
30. chf - congestive heart failure
31. copd - chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
32. cpr - cardiopulmonary resuscitation
33. cva - cerebrovascular accident (stroke)
34. dc - discontinue
35. dnr - do not resuscitate
36. d o e - dyspnea on exertion
37. dx - diagnosis
38. e t o h - alcohol
39. f - fahrenheit
40. f u - up
41. fbs - fasting blood sugar
42. ft - feet
43. fwb - full weight bearing
44. fx - fracture
45. gal - gallon
46. gi - gastrointestinal
47. gt - one drop
48. gt - gastronomy tube
49. gtt - glucose tolerance test
50. gtt - two drops
51. gu - genito urinary
52. gyn - gynecology
53. h - hour
54. h2o - water
55. hbv - hepatitis b virus
56. hemi - half
57. hepatitis - liver
58. hiv - human immunodeficiency virus
59. hob - head of bed
60. hoh - hard of hearing
61. hs - hour of sleep (bedtime)
62. ht - height
63. hx - history of
64. hyper - above
65. hypo - below
66. i plus o - intake and output
67. i see you - intensive care unit
68. i n - inches
69. inc - incontinent
70. iv - introvenous (into blood vessel)
71. l - left or leader
72. l e - lower extremity
73. r l e - right lower extremity
74. lle - left lower extremity
75. lb - pound
76. loc - level of consciousness
77. lpn - license practical nurse
78. md - medical doctor
79. mi - myocardial infarction (heart attack)
80. min - minute
81. ml - milliliter
82. mrsa - methicillin resistant staphylococcus eris
83. ms - multiple sclerosis
84. n a - nursing assistant
85. nac - nursing assistant certified
86. nar - nursing assistant registered
87. naso - nose
88. ng - nasogastric
89. nka - no known allergies
90. noc - at night
91. npo - nothing per os (nothing by mouth)
92. o2 - oxygen
93. obra - omnibus budget reconciliation act
94. oob - out of bed
95. o r - operating room
96. o s - opening of mouth
97. ot - occupational therapy
98. o - ounce
99. p_ - post (after)
100. pc - after meals
101. per - by, through
102. pm - evening
103. po - per os (by mouth)
104. post op - after surgery
105. ppe - personal protective equipment
106. prn - as necessary
107. pt - patient
108. pt - physical therapy
109. cue - every
110. qth - every two hours
111. qh - every hour
112. qid - four times a day
113. r - right
114. rectal - or respirations
115. rn - registered nurse
116. r o - rule out
117. r o m - range of motion (passive range of motion, active range of motion)
118. rx - prescription treatment
119. s_ - without
120. sba - standby assistance
121. s o b - short of breath
122. spec - specimen (sample)
123. stat - immediately
124. std - sexually transmitted disease
125. t - temperature
126. tb - tuberculosis
127. tbsp - tablespoon
128. tid - three times a day
129. tpr - temperature pulse respiration
130. tx - treatment
131. ua - your analysis
132. ue - upper extremity
133. arm - e right upper extremity, l u e - left upper extremity
134. uri - upper respiratory infection
135. uti - urinary tract infection
136. vre - then commission resistant enterococcus
137. vs - vital signs (temperature pulse respirations and blood pressure)
138. wc - wheelchair
139. wt - weight
Learning medical abbreviations and their meanings can help patients and their families better understand their medical condition and treatment plan. It is important for medical professionals to communicate effectively and avoid confusion by explaining medical terminology in a clear and concise manner.
THE BASICS - Abbreviated Dialing Lists - PERSONAL - Avaya PBX R12 - HD
In this video, CJ from PBX How To is back after being under the weather and is discussing personal abbreviated download lists for dialing. Here are the main points covered:
- CJ from PBX How To is discussing personal abbreviated download lists for dialing.
- Personal abbreviated download lists are speed dial lists that users can use to call frequently called members.
- CJ asks users to send him an email with their top ten phone numbers, which he then adds to their station as a personal dial list.
- Changing personal abbreviated download lists cannot be done from the command line and must be changed at the station.
- To change the abbreviated dialing list for a personal list for a specific user, the user needs to have outside access, put a nine, and dial the number.
- Users can access personal abbreviated download lists by using a feature access code, which is pre-populated, and dialing the corresponding dial code.
- CJ sets up feature button assignments for users and gives them an ABR prog to program their lists and change the numbers whenever they want.
- Users need to remember to dial nine for outside lines.
- CJ will do another video on Britta dialing for the system and how it differs from personal dialing lists.
- Personal abbreviated download lists are a useful tool for users to make calls quickly and efficiently.
- By following CJ's instructions, users can easily set up and use their personal dialing lists.
22 Business English Acronyms & Abbreviations You NEED
- Greeting and purpose of the video
- Acknowledgement of sponsor, LingoDe, and their new business English course
- Explanation of the importance of business English in the workplace and career advancement
Acronyms and Abbreviations:
- Explanation of the usefulness of acronyms and abbreviations in emails
- Examples of commonly used abbreviations with definitions (e.g. V, Corp, Dept, etc.)
- Examples of commonly used acronyms with definitions (e.g. tbh, ASAP, ETA, etc.)
- Reminder to write down and review the abbreviations and acronyms
- Homework assignment to comment with any additional abbreviations or acronyms
- Encouragement to connect on social media
- Thank you for watching and learning with Lucy
How to say and use abbreviations in English
50 shkurtesa të zakonshme në anglisht
Shkurtimet janë një pjesë e zakonshme e fjalorit në anglisht dhe janë të rëndësishme për të kuptuar komunikimin në internet dhe në jetën e përditshme. Këtu janë disa nga shkurtesat më të zakonshme që mund t'i hasni gjatë fjalës ose shkrimit të përditshëm:
1. ASAP - As soon as possible
2. RSVP - Répondez s'il vous plaît
3. FYI - For your information
4. TBA - To be announced
5. TBC - To be confirmed
6. TBD - To be determined
7. PTO - Please turn over
8. PS - Post scriptum
9. FAQ - Frequently asked questions
10. AKA - Also known as
11. ETA - Estimated time of arrival
12. FTF - Face to face
13. RIP - Rest in peace
14. AD - Anno Domini
15. BC - Before Christ
16. AM - Ante meridian
17. PM - Post meridian
18. CC - Carbon copy
19. BCC - Blind carbon copy
20. HR - Human resources
21. PR - Public relations
22. GCSE - General Certificate of Secondary Education
23. MA - Master of Arts
24. MSc - Master of Science
25. BA - Bachelor of Arts
26. BSc - Bachelor of Science
27. PhD - Doctor of Philosophy
28. MB - Master's degree in Business Administration
29. ATM - Automated teller machine
30. PC - Personal computer
31. DIY - Do it yourself
32. A&E - Accident and Emergency
33. BLT - Bacon, lettuce, and tomato
34. EDM - Electronic dance music
35. BPM - Beats per minute
36. BO - Body odor
37. VIP - Very important person
38. IQ - Intelligence quotient
39. DOB - Date of birth
40. ID - Identification
41. PC - Politically correct language
42. TLC - Tender loving care
43. BYOB - Bring your own bottle
44. SOS - Save our souls
45. AWOL - Absent without leave
46. MIA - Missing in action
47. ATM - At the moment
48. BRB - Be right back
49. BTW - By the way
50. TBH - To be honest
Shkurtimet janë një mënyrë efektive për të shkurtuar kohën dhe për të bërë komunikimin më të thjeshtë. Nëse kuptoni këto shkurtesa, mund të bëni fjalorin tuaj më të përshtatshëm dhe të komunikoni më mirë në një botë ku koha është shumë e çmuar.
Emacs Abbreviation Mode
In this video, Timothy Hunkert explains how to use Emacs abbreviation mode for programming, correcting spelling errors, and expanding acronyms into their full word equivalents.
Using Abbreviation Mode:
To turn on abbreviation mode, type Alt+X or Meta+X, and then type abbrev-mode and hit enter. To expand an abbreviation, first define it using the Control+X and AIG commands for global abbreviations or Control+X and AIL for local abbreviations. For example, to expand CIA to Central Intelligence Agency, define the global abbreviation as CIA = Central Intelligence Agency using the Control+X and AIG commands.
Abbreviations can be saved in the abbrev_defs file, located in the .emacs.d folder. To set abbreviation mode on by default, add the following commands to the .emacs file: setq-default abbrev-mode t, read-abbrev-file ~/.emacs.d/abbrev_defs, and setq save-abbrevs t.
Using Abbreviation Mode for Programming:
Using Abbreviation Mode for Correcting Spelling Errors:
Abbreviation mode can also be used for correcting spelling errors. For example, if quiet is frequently misspelled as queit, an abbreviation can be defined as qin = quiet to automatically correct the spelling.
Emacs abbreviation mode is a powerful tool for programming and writing, allowing for quicker and more efficient use of commonly used phrases and code. By defining abbreviations and saving them in the abbrev_defs file, users can customize Emacs to suit their individual needs and preferences.