Taxing AliExpress Dropshipping on Shopify
The topic of tax in e-commerce is a complex one that can vary depending on location and business type. In this article, we will explore the different approaches to tax in e-commerce and provide guidance on how to navigate this area.
Charging Tax to Customers:
- The decision to charge tax to customers depends on the business type and location.
- Charging tax can affect conversion rates, as customers may be deterred by increased prices.
- Shopify offers an option to charge all taxes to customers automatically, which can be dynamic based on the customer's location.
- For dropshipping, it may be better to eat up the tax and increase prices to cover all countries worldwide.
- If you have your own e-commerce store and products, it may be better to charge GST to customers to cover slim profit margins.
- If you are doing dropshipping, do not worry about tax and focus on making money.
- In Australia, if you are doing dropshipping correctly, you can get a GST refund on marketing and expenses.
Navigating tax in e-commerce can be challenging, but it is important to understand the different approaches and consider the best option for your business. Whether you decide to charge tax to customers or eat up the cost, it is important to stay compliant with local tax laws and regulations. If you need further guidance, consider seeking one-on-one coaching from a reputable source.
What Tax Do I Need to Pay when Dropshipping with Aliexpress?! [UPDATED VIDEO]
- As an Ali Express drop shipper, you need to pay taxes to avoid legal trouble.
- While it may seem overwhelming, meeting your tax obligations is actually easy.
- This article will cover what taxes you need to pay as an Ali Express drop shipper and how to pay them.
Types of Taxes:
- Income tax: Everyone needs to pay income tax on the profit made from drop shipping.
- Sales tax: Not everyone is required to pay sales tax, but if you have nexus in a state, you need to collect and pay sales tax on orders made by customers in that state.
- Nexus: Nexus means having a sufficient physical presence in a state that requires you to collect and pay sales tax on customers' orders.
- Destination-based states: States where sales tax is based on where the customer lives, making it more complicated.
How to Collect and Pay Sales Tax:
- Shopify makes it easy to collect and pay sales tax if you have nexus in a state.
- Select the products you want to have taxes charged to and add the states you have nexus in.
- Shopify automatically calculates and adds the correct sales tax to orders made by customers in those states.
- Use TaxJar to automate the process of paying sales tax.
- Meeting your tax obligations as an Ali Express drop shipper is easy.
- Do your research and ask questions to find simple solutions.
- Follow the steps outlined in this article to ensure you meet your tax obligations and avoid legal trouble.
How to do Taxes in Dropshipping- Complete Guide for 2022
How to Do Taxes with Dropshipping
Dropshipping can be a lucrative business, but it’s important to understand the tax implications of running one. In this article, we’ll discuss how to properly do your taxes as a dropshipper.
1. Collect Receipts and Keep Track of Expenses:
- Collect receipts for every expense, including Facebook ads, suppliers, and Shopify subscriptions.
- Keep track of profits, losses, fees, and refunds.
- Do accounting as a process, not as a one-time event.
- Hire an accountant once you start making decent money.
2. Have Invoices for Every Customer:
- Use software like SevDesk to create automatic invoices for every customer.
- Keep these invoices organized and accessible in case of government audits.
3. Use One Supplier:
- Work with one all-around supplier, instead of multiple suppliers like AliExpress.
- Have a warehouse for additional products.
- Accounting is important but not a money-making activity.
4. Hire Freelancers Through Platforms:
- Hire freelancers through platforms like Upwork to easily obtain receipts and invoices.
5. Keep Facebook Ad Receipts:
- Download receipts and keep them in a separate folder.
- Be aware that losing access to a Facebook account can result in lost receipts.
Properly doing your taxes is crucial as a dropshipper. By collecting receipts, keeping track of expenses, having invoices for every customer, using one supplier, and keeping Facebook ad receipts, you can ensure that your taxes are done accurately and efficiently. Remember to prioritize money-making activities over accounting, and hire an accountant once you start making decent money.
MAJOR UPDATE: How to Pay Tax When Dropshipping (How to Pay Sales Tax with Shopify)
When dropshipping, there are two main types of taxes that you need to pay: income tax and potentially sales tax. Income tax is the easiest, so let's start with that first.
Income tax is a tax that you pay on the profit that your store makes for the year. That profit is your income. If you don't make a profit, then you don't pay any income tax. If you live outside the United States but have customers based in the USA, you pay your income tax to your government, not the USA government. You may also have to pay income tax to both the federal government and your local state if you live in a country like the USA. It's important to do your own research on your local income tax laws.
Sales tax is when a governing body places a tax on goods or services sold within their jurisdiction. In the USA, individual states manage sales tax, and each state can set its own tax rate and laws. Some states in the USA are sales tax havens, meaning no one is required to collect and pay sales tax within them. However, most states in the USA are not sales tax havens.
The previous law that required you to have nexus with a state before you were required to collect and pay sales tax to it was abolished by the new Supreme Court ruling on June 21st. The South Dakota versus Wayfair ruling sets the precedent that states are now allowed to pass their own bill that will require out-of-state vendors to have to collect and pay sales tax. However, until states have passed legislature, the old rule still applies, and most states have yet to do this.
If you are new to dropshipping, then you are not required to collect and pay sales tax within any state that you don't have nexus in. If you do have nexus in a state, then you are obligated to collect and pay sales tax within it. Luckily, Shopify makes this very simple, and they will automatically collect the right amount of sales tax for the order. It's important to do your own research on your local tax laws, and if you need more help, Wholesale TED offers a premium over-the-shoulder training program called the Drop Ship Club.
How to Blind Dropship from Aliexpress (hide the supplier + hide the price!)
- Blind dropshipping from AliExpress
- Concerns about supplier leaving marketing materials in package
- Solution: get supplier to blindly dropship
- Two things in this video: teach how to get supplier to blindly dropship and show what customer receives
- Ordering items from AliExpress using quick method
- Importance of picking supplier with good feedback score
Getting Your Items Blindly Dropshipped:
- Go to checkout page in AliExpress
- Leave message for supplier to not include invoice or marketing material and blindly dropship item
- AliExpress suppliers are used to working with dropshippers
- Importance of picking supplier with good feedback score
- Suppliers in feedback range of 2,000 to 2 million are reliable and attentive to messages
- Message supplier in advance to ask if they do blind dropshipping
- Packages ordered using ePacket shipping
- No advertising indicating supplier or AliExpress on package
- Opened packages to show no advertising material inside
- Various items blindly dropshipped
- Solution to seemingly complicated problem is simple
- Don't let roadblocks hold you back
- Find a solution, which is often simpler than expected
- Subscribe to Wholesale Ted for more videos about making money selling online
- Download free eBook on how to make $10,000 a month online from dropshipping.
Do NOT Use Aliexpress to Dropship (NEW 2022 Method)
Drop Shipping: Why AliExpress is Not the Answer and How to Find a Private Supplier
- Drop Shipping has been a popular business model for years, but many people believe it is dead due to common issues associated with it.
- AliExpress is often used as a supplier, but it has major drawbacks such as long shipping times, poor product quality, and unreliable sellers.
- Establishing a relationship with a private supplier is the key to success in Drop Shipping.
Benefits of Private Suppliers
- Faster shipping times, sometimes as fast as 2-5 days.
- Potential for white labeling, custom packaging, and creating a unique customer experience.
- Negotiation for lower prices and shipping costs based on sales volume.
- Increased profit margins over time.
How to Find a Private Supplier
- Reach out to suppliers that specialize in products you are already selling.
- Contact smaller suppliers who are more flexible with terms.
- Consider using an agent as a middleman to connect with multiple suppliers and get the best quotes.
- Use Auto DS or other platforms to connect with top suppliers.
- Be cautious when building relationships with suppliers found online and thoroughly research them before doing business.
- AliExpress is not a sustainable supplier for Drop Shipping in the long run.
- Establishing a relationship with a private supplier is crucial for success.
- Using the right methods and being cautious can lead to finding the best private supplier for your business.
Everything You Need to Know About Sales Tax for Dropshipping
- Christine from Ledger Crews discussing sales tax for drop shippers
- Three parties involved in drop shipping: customer, seller, and drop shipper
Part 1: Nexus
- Customer pays sales tax, not worried about their nexus
- Seller has nexus in home state and where they have economic nexus determined by customers
- Drop shipper has nexus where they have physical presence and where they have economic nexus determined by customers
- Drop shippers may have economic nexus in many different states due to delivering for multiple sellers
Part 2: Sales Tax
- Seller charges sales tax to customer where they have physical nexus or pass economic nexus threshold
- Drop shipper charges sales tax to seller where they have physical nexus or pass economic nexus threshold, unless seller provides valid resale certificate
- Resale certificate can be obtained through MTC or SST forms in most cases
- Chart out your own scenario to determine where you have nexus and where sales tax should be charged
- Check out Ledger Crews' intel master class for more information on sales tax
- Ledger Crews is actively hiring for accountant/bookkeeper positions
- Reliable Chinese Dropshipping Suppliers
- Streamline Your Business with Domysite's Dropshipping
- Do Brands Matter in Dropshipping?
- Tang Dropshipping: Streamlining Your eCommerce Success
- Dropshipping Fee: Minimize Your Costs
- Dropshipping and Tax Implications
- Top-rated AliExpress dropshipper - Level 1
- Dropshipping Spy Discount: Save Big!
- Scuba Dive into Dropshipping: The Ultimate eCommerce Adventure
- Top Etsy Dropshipping Picks