cramming ads it can
- Cram School Hong Kong is a billion-dollar business that thrives on the high-stakes examination education system.
- The business is centered around celebrity tutors who promise to give students an edge.
- This article explores Hong Kong's extracurricular and tutoring centers, asking whether they are helping students succeed or just adding glitz.
- The modern education system relies heavily on tutoring centers, with over 180,000 students attending.
- Star tutors promise to teach students how to answer questions efficiently and predict exam questions.
- Antonia Chan, a star tutor, emphasizes the importance of being more focused and paying attention to instructions.
- Tutoring centers like the Prints That Were Center have a team of tutors who build a database for systematic analysis to help predict upcoming exam questions.
- The tutoring culture has long been a highly lucrative business, with increasing numbers of students spending over HKD 1,000 every month on tutoring centers.
- Marketing campaigns have been successful in attracting students, but tutors have to make extra efforts to build their professional reputation.
- The fierce competition in the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) exam is driving the tutoring industry, with nearly 75,000 students competing for only 15,000 university places.
Effects on Students:
- All the extra tutoring takes its toll on students, with over 90% of secondary school students sleeping for less than eight hours a day and cutting into their play and social time.
- A survey of nearly 4,000 primary and secondary school students found that 25% rated their stress levels at 7 on a scale of 10, with most of them stressed about exams, homework, and the difficult syllabus.
- The University of Hong Kong's study shows that high scores in English exams don't necessarily translate to good language skills, and Hong Kong's graduates lack the confidence to operate in the real world.
- The tutoring industry will continue to thrive as long as the exam system stays as it is, and the number of university places remains far lower than the number of students competing for them.
- While tutoring centers offer students an edge in exams, it comes at the cost of their well-being and does not necessarily lead to critical thinking or real-world skills.
- The education system needs to focus on developing additional skills, attitudes, and personality development rather than just passing exams.
VLOG 46 - Cramming for thesis - It started with an illness
Cramming for My Thesis: A Journey to Completion
- Started cramming for thesis on September 5th
- Only had 7 hours to write 6 pages
- Battling asthenia and chronic venous insufficiency
- Received new compression socks for support
Chapter 3: Soledad's Sister
- Analyzing Jose De Liza's novel
- Notes on childhood of Soledad and Aurora
- Highlighted points about Walter
- Editing and fleshing out necessary
- Using Tombow Monograph mechanical pencil
- Tracking progress on planner
- Working with messy desk setup
- Adding stickers to mark achievements
- Thesis consists of 5 chapters, including introduction and conclusion
- Chapters 2-4 will be 50 pages each
- Endnotes will add an additional 15 pages per chapter
- Will devote 5 days per week to writing and 2 days for editing and polishing
- Despite setbacks and challenges, progress is being made
- Adjusting goals and strategies to ensure success
- Determined to complete thesis and earn master's degree.
Cramming (Ratta), effects, and Best Practices
Music research has revealed the effectiveness of cramming for short-term retention, but long-term retention requires active learning strategies. Psychologists have identified two such strategies: spacing and retrieval practice.
- In 1895, a German psychologist discovered that spacing out learning sessions improves long-term retention.
- This means studying a little bit at a time over a longer period, rather than cramming everything into one session.
- This method allows the brain to strengthen connections between neurons, leading to better retention.
- The second strategy is called retrieval practice, which involves actively recalling information from memory.
- This can be done through flashcards, quizzes, or simply testing oneself on the material.
- Retrieval practice strengthens memory and makes it easier to recall information in the future.
While cramming may work in the short term, it is not an effective strategy for long-term retention. Active learning strategies such as spacing and retrieval practice have been scientifically proven to improve memory and retention. By implementing these strategies, students can ensure they are truly learning and retaining information for the long term.
The Cranberries - Dreams
The power of music is undeniable, and one genre that has captured the hearts of many is upbeat pop rock. With its catchy melodies and relatable lyrics, it has the ability to change our moods and uplift our spirits. In this article, we will delve into the lyrics of a popular pop rock song and explore its deeper meanings.
Oh my life is changing everyday
In every possible way
And oh my dreams
It's never quite as it seems
Never quite as it seems
- The opening lines of the song depict a sense of constant change and uncertainty in life.
- The use of repetition emphasizes the idea that life is unpredictable and can often be different from what we expect.
I know I felt like this before
But now I'm feeling it even more
Because it came from you
- The chorus conveys the idea that the changes in the singer's life are due to the influence of someone special.
- The use of contractions and colloquialisms adds a personal touch and makes the lyrics relatable.
Then I open up and see
The person falling here is me
A different way to be
- The second verse suggests that the changes in the singer's life have led to a new perspective and a new way of being.
- The use of an idiom (falling) adds depth to the lyrics and creates a vivid image.
I want more
Impossible to ignore
And they'll come true
Impossible not to do
- The second repetition of the chorus reinforces the idea that the singer is experiencing positive changes.
- The use of transitional phrases (I want more) and dangling modifiers (impossible to ignore) add variety to the lyrics and create a sense of urgency.
And now I tell you openly
You have my heart so don't hurt me
You're what I couldn't find
A totally amazing mind
So understanding and so kind
You're everything to me
- The bridge reveals that the changes in the singer's life are due to the presence of a special person.
- The use of a rhetorical question (You're everything to me?) adds emphasis and creates a sense of vulnerability.
Oh my life is changing everyday
In every possible way
And oh my dreams
It's never quite as it seems
Cause you're a dream to me
Dream to me
- The final repetition of the chorus highlights the theme of change and the importance of the special person in the singer's life.
- The use of vocalizing and interjections (ah la ah la ah) creates a sense of celebration and joy.
In conclusion, the lyrics of this upbeat pop rock song convey a powerful message about the transformative power of love and the positive impact it can have on our lives. The use of various literary devices and techniques adds depth and emotion to the lyrics, making it a beloved anthem for many.
Why Cramming Doesn't Work (and what to do instead)
- The common scenario of cramming before exams and feeling unprepared
- The negative effects of cramming
- The need for a better study method
Why Cramming Doesn't Work:
- Definition of cramming and its focus on short-term recall
- Professor Robert Bjork's thoughts on cramming and its limitations
- Analogies to explain why cramming fails (working out and sugar high)
- Negative consequences of cramming (neglect of long-term memory retention, increased stress and anxiety, lack of sleep)
The Benefits of Spacing Out Study:
- Definition of spacing and its effectiveness in long-term memory retention
- Study by Nate Kornell comparing spacing and massing groups
- The importance of testing oneself and constant exposure to information
- The benefits of repeated retrieval with long-term intervals
- The personal experience of finding a sweet spot for studying and building mental stamina
How to Employ Spaced Repetition:
- Creating a study schedule with specific topics and days
- Continual exposure to different information over a spaced amount of time
- The importance of building good habits and preventing procrastination
- The core of every habit and the importance of repetition
- Cramming may provide short-term benefits, but it ultimately fails in the long-term
- Spacing out study is a more effective method for long-term memory retention
- Building good habits and repetition are integral to making a study plan stick
The HuzzyGames Office Tour!
Hey guys, welcome to the office tour! I've been talking about this for a while now and we finally unlocked it as a goal on stream. Before we get started, I want to mention a few things. Firstly, my office isn't a crazy mansion or anything, just a normal space that I like. Secondly, it's not in its most absolute clean form as I'm not feeling my best due to the virus. But I still wanted to record this and give you guys an insight into where I do all the recordings and streams.
1. Door Entrance
- Display of signed items from YouTuber Jesse Cox
- Beaded art logo made by a friend
2. Desk Setup
- Not a lot of space behind me as I prefer the background display
- Display shelves with various items
- Drawers for storage
3. Queen Pleb's Desk Setup
- Basic gaming setup with a gifted chair and pillow from Secret Lab
4. Desk Setup Continued
- Monitor arm and desk from Secret Lab
- Dual monitor setup with one HP by Omen 27 inch 165 Hertz OLED monitor
- Audio needs met by the Go XLR
Thanks for joining me on this tour of my office. I hope you enjoyed seeing where all the magic happens. Don't forget to check out the links in the description for the products I use and some giveaways. See you in the next video!
Microsoft AZ-500 Exam Cram: PART 4 - Secure Data and Applications
Welcome to the finale of the Microsoft AZ500 Exam Cram series! Throughout this series, our goal has been to help you prepare for the exam quickly and efficiently. In this final installment, we will be focusing on the secure data and applications domain, which consists of configuring security for storage, databases, and key vault.
Let's start by looking at the skills measured for configuring security for storage:
- Configure access control for storage accounts
- Configure key management for storage accounts
- Configure Azure AD authentication for Azure storage
- Configure Azure AD domain services authentication for Azure files
- Create and manage shared access signatures
- Create a shared access policy for a blob or blob container
- Configure storage service encryption
To prepare for this section of the exam, here are some key areas to focus on:
- Understand the advantages of shared access signatures over access keys
- Know that Microsoft recommends Azure Key Vault for managing and rotating keys
- Understand authentication for Azure storage, with a focus on Azure AD domain services auth for Azure files
- Expect a focus on Azure blobs and files in the exam
- Learn the advantages of a stored access policy for shared access signatures
- Understand that storage service encryption protects data at rest and is enabled by default
Moving on to configuring security for databases, the skills measured include:
- Enable database authentication
- Enable database auditing
- Configure Azure SQL database advanced threat protection
- Implement database encryption
- Implement Azure SQL database always encrypted
To prepare for this section of the exam, focus on:
- Enabling auditing for Azure SQL and selecting the log destination
- Understanding how to implement database encryption and always encrypted features
Finally, let's look at configuring and managing key vault. This section of the exam will cover the following skills measured:
- Manage access to key vault
- Manage certificates
- Manage secrets
- Configure key vault diagnostics and alerts
- Configure key rotation
To prepare for this section of the exam, focus on understanding how to manage access, certificates, and secrets in key vault. Also, learn how to configure key vault diagnostics and alerts and how to rotate keys.
In conclusion, to prepare for the secure data and applications domain of the AZ500 exam, focus on understanding the key concepts and technologies related to storage, databases, and key vault. Study the skills measured and know where to focus your attention for each section. Good luck on the exam!